Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Favorites - Part 3 - 3M Scotch ATG 714 - Adhesive Transfer Gun

Oops. So I'm a few days late! Was out of the house a lot last week and didn't get a chance to take these photos so I could blog about them. No one likes a blog entry without pictures.

So, without further ado, I present my 3rd scrapbooking favorite - the 3M Scotch ATG 714. I know what you are thinking - what is that thing, and how can she be so excited about a tape gun?

Last fall, I attended an intensive 3 day scrapbooking event, CKU (Creating Keepsakes University) when it rolled into town. I had a great time, and I loved that the event was very educationally driven - the classes moved fast, and we did a LOT of scrapping. The only problem? I had horrible adhesive issues. I had only packed a smaller sized scrapbook adhesive, and without fail, I would run out in the midst of a class - so I missed useful tips and instruction while fumbling with the refill as the class around me happily scrapped away. From then on, I was on a mission to find an adhesive that wouldn't just run out every time I made more than a few pages in a day.

Enter the ATG gun. This thing holds a 36 yard (yes that's YARDS, not feet) roll of adhesive. I was worried about it's size and weight, but this thing was designed for use by professional framers - it is amazingly ergonomic and well balanced. The size is not an issue, unless you are really tight on space going to a crop (though it seems everyone I see at those events rolls in with a giant stroller big enough to pack all my clothes into for a 3 week trip to Italy...so I don't think space would be an issue).

So, anyway, 36 yards of 1/4" wide adhesive. And guess what? The adhesive is soo much cheaper per foot than most of the other popular scrapbook adhesives out there. Those that know me, know I'm all about stuff that works well, and stuff that is a good value, so this was just a no-brainer for me. Yep, it was an investment up front because of the cost of the gun - but I made that back really fast in the savings on adhesive. And I've never run out in the midst of an intense scrapbooking session since :)

So, now on to the pictures - since those who have never used one before might have some questions loading the adhesive for the first time, I took a picture of mine opened up to demonstrate - keep in mind I was in the middle of a roll so I just tore off the used portion so I could thread the remainder onto the gun for demonstration purposes. A new roll would have the plaid liner portion at the beginning of the roll, and you would take that end and thread it into the gun.


I added the arrows to show the direction that you would thread the tape. You thread it over the first roller, then under the 2nd one, then it goes back over the adhesive roll over to the back wheel. I have a closeup of the back wheel below:

It goes into one notch and out the other notch - this catches the tape onto the back wheel so the tape from the used portion of the roll will roll up on the back wheel. After putting on the new roll, you would put the black cover back on this back wheel so that it holds the tape in place and keeps it from flopping off the wheel as it turns.

After the first or second refill, it was second nature to me to put in the refills, but I figured in case anyone was bad at spatial relations like I am, this might help the first time you use it.

I offer the ATG gun in my store HERE, and the refills HERE. The gun itself does not come with any adhesive, so you will need to purchase some before you can use it. All the ATG adhesive I carry is acid-free (not all ATG tapes are).

So, hard as it is to believe, this is one of my favorite scrapbooking purchases - no it's not as glamorous as some scrapbooking goodies, but it is a workhorse, and I love it!

9 comments:

  1. I have one also and I love it. It is really strong. Once you position your paper there is no removing it. I highly recommend this product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the loading instructions!!! I was having a big question mark about it. Very helpful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGOSH, I LOVE my ATG! It is by far one of my favorite scrappin' tools..I think it is great that you included loading instructions/photos..loading it is certainly overwhelming at first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read another review of this product and I am def going to be getting one! Thanks for the tips and detailed pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:08 PM

    Yes, thanks for the pictures and review, I saw one at a crop this weekend and never would have thought of one for myself, I like my little duck adhesive, its foolproof, so I wanted to have an idea what it was about! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I found your wonderful instructions by googling "ATG 714 instructions". My ATG gun ran out of tape for the first time today (on World Card Making Day, of all days!) I have never loaded it before; my daughter did it for me the first time. And I could not find my instruction sheet. But my daughter was not around to help me today- I was on my own! In a panic with not much other adhesive for the many cards I had intended to make, I decided to try to find help on the internet. Well, your blog was the first thing that came up and your instructions- complete with those wonderful pictures and arrows- saved the day for me! Thank you so much for posting these. I actually had no trouble, and my gun even seems to be dispensing the tape smoother than before. I love this thing!!

    I looked around your blog a bit more, and saw you have an eBay store, too. I plan on checking it out more and may order some things as well.

    I sure hope you keep up with your blog! Thanks again so much for your great help with the ATG gun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the great feedback about this post - glad everyone is finding it useful!

    Sarah - glad you got up and running again for World Card Making Day. Your kind comments made my day! I definitely have missed blogging, so look out for more posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane8:59 AM

    thanks! just had to fix the office tape gun, couldn't figure it out without your help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! just had to fix the office tape gun, couldn't figure it out without your help.
    gun cabinets

    ReplyDelete